Giving Back Campaign: American Red Cross
It's my birthday month!
Let's start something new, shall we?
Starting this month (July 2018), I will be doing a monthly Giving Back Campaign.
I will be spotlighting a cause or charity and will raise awareness and donate a portion of my profits from my service offerings to the month's cause.
I have a lot of causes I want to support, but for my birthday month and month one of my giving back campaign, I am choosing the American Red Cross.
Watch my video explanation for the American Red Cross here.
Aka, I'm choosing to support those that need blood to survive and/or thrive.
Whether you can donate financially to the American Red Cross or if you want to donate your whole blood or plasma/platelets at a blood drive, I challenge you to do so this month.
I will be doing so as well.
Here are some facts for you:
- A single patient with sickle cell disease -- a painful chronic illness starting at birth -- can receive dozens of blood transfusions each year of their life.
- Each cancer patient is more than likely going to receive at least a few blood transfusions in their life. Whether they are receiving traditional chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation, surgery, or forgoing treatment, the cancer process, as well as any treatment, can seriously drop their red blood counts to dangerous levels.
- Patients afflicted with tick-borne diseases - which are life-long - sometimes rely on transfusions.
- A victim of a trauma can potentially need up to 100 units upon entering the emergency department or operating room.
- "Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S." - redcrossblood.org
- "Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S." - redcrossblood.org
- Whole red blood and its components (plasma, platelets) is critical for the body. Red blood carries OXYGEN and life-sustaining NUTRIENTS to each of our organs and throughout our body.
Regardless if you think the American Red Cross uses their financial donations wisely, they supply our hospitals and medical facilities with donated blood to give the life-saving fuel our bodies need to patients in the United States as well as to disaster zones.🆘
So, if you want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY and to everyone who gets to have another birthday this year, consider donating blood or the cost of your next cup of Starbucks coffee to support the Red Cross' efforts.
Find a blood drive here: https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/find-drive